Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Lego Party

My son and daughter LOVE Legos. So this year we decided to throw them a Lego birthday party!



I found a ton of ideas on Pinterest, but I knew right off the bat that I didn't want to spend too much time on this.
After looking at the myriad of ideas, I tried to pick out the ones that I thought might take less time to work on.

First came the invitations.
I used this template from here and put in our own birthday party information.



Next I worked on the decorations.
I didn't want to waste printer ink, so I made a lego banner based on a template from here using cardstock, glue, yarn, clothespins, and wall-mounting hooks.



Next, I worked on table decorations.

I made a Lego boy and a Lego girl to display my kids' names and ages based on this picture. However, the link wasn't working for me, so I made my own cut outs, using card-stock and glue. These stayed up great indoors, but not so much outdoors. I ended up taping them up after repeated falls.


I had the kids build utensil holders out of legos (I got the idea from Pinterest of course.).


I also drew faces on yellow paper cups that I bought from the dollar store to add to the Lego decor. (I got the idea from here.)


Lego activities and games are always fun, so we did three simple ones:

Guess how many Lego pieces there are (Again, the idea is from Pinterest),



Pin the head on the Lego man (from Pinterest) - a hit with the kids,


and Lego masks.

I used this template and pasted it into Microsoft Word. I wanted to turn this into a craft so I erased the eyebrows and mouth in Microsoft Word and printed the masks out onto yellow file folders (I found cardstock to be too flimsy.)
I cut out the eyes so the kids could see and set out elastic string to tie on at the end.
To make this a craft, I set out 4 different types of eyebrows (that I cut out beforehand), furry moustaches (from the dollar store), and permanent markers to draw mouths.
Some of the girls drew red mouths and added eyelashes to the eyes to create a girl lego mask.





The masks made for a great group photo!


We completed the day with cupcakes topped with lego candy of course!
(We bought the candy from Toys r us, but they are also available on www.amazon.com.)


Each guest left with a favor bag (based on this), which consisted of lego mini-figure crayons and a mini lego coloring book.
Here is my post on how to assemble these favor bags.
My kids helped peel and break the crayons to make the lego crayons, and I used the same template that we used for the invitations to seal the bags. However, I erased the words and the lego figure and typed in "Thank you for coming" instead.


The kids had a ton of fun and so did I!



No comments:

Post a Comment