Monday, September 23, 2013

Scrumptious Scones

I enjoy eating scones, but I find that they are usually a bit too sweet for my taste when I purchase them from a store or bakery.

I saw this recipe online and added my own small changes to it. I was happy with the results: not too sweet and a healthier option.
You can also substitute the cranberries with blueberries. Both options taste great!

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I like Trader Joe's 100% white whole wheat flour)
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp flaxseed meal
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp of sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
9 Tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 (generous) tsp finely grated orange zest
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 tsp sugar (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.




Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater. Use your fingers to gently work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in cranberries and orange zest.




In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.




Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. 



Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)




Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7 - to 8 - inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp of sugar. (I personally leave out this step since I like my scones to be less sweet.)




Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles. Place on a cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. 




Bake until golden, about 15 - 17 minutes. 

Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment